China rejects a key US proposal, escalating tensions between the two powers and raising questions about the future of global diplomacy and trade.
China announced that it will not participate in negotiations with the US and Russia on denuclearization.
On August 27, Mr. Guo Jiakun – spokesman for the Chinese Foreign Ministry – said that the expectation that China would participate in denuclearization negotiations with the US and Russia is “unreasonable and unrealistic”.
“China and the US are not at the same level in terms of nuclear capabilities. The strategic security environment as well as the nuclear policies of the two countries are also completely different”, Mr. Guo said.
According to Mr. Guo, countries with the largest nuclear arsenals in the world (such as the US) should “seriously” fulfill their responsibility to denuclearize.
As for China, this country does not pursue a policy of preemptive nuclear strikes and does not participate in an arms race with any country.
Previously, on August 25, US President Donald Trump said that the US is working to pursue the goal of denuclearization with both Russia and China.
“I think denuclearization is a great goal. But Russia is ready to do it and I think China is ready to do it. We can’t have nuclear proliferation. We have to stop it. It’s too powerful,” Trump said.